The LCT 7074 'Landfall' is the only surviving landing craft from D-Day in 1944. Salvesen UK were assigned the task of re-floating the landing craft in the Birkenhead Docks in Liverpool, UK.

The project to lift and save LCT 7074 began in March, 2014, almost exactly four years to the day after she had sunk.

The vessel, which had numerous successful deployments to the Normandy beaches during the Allied invasion of Northern France, came out of service at the end of World War II and was converted to a naval repair facility for a short while before becoming a floating nightclub berthed in Liverpool from around 1950.






























April 4, 1944
Without ceremony, the ship was launched, looking a little clumsy, even ugly, but proudly afloat in the Tyne.


April 6, 1944
Final inspection and Commissioning, carried out by an old sea dog named Commander Lewis, RN. From now on the C.O., Sub.-Lieut. John Baggot, and I set abotu the task of welding the ship and her crew of 12 into an efficient fighting team. In th next month or so, while still in the Tyne, 7074 showed a peculiar reluctance to go to sea. Several times we were due to sail, to Great Yarmouth, but each time the ship developed engine trouble. Eventually a new port engine was fitted.

May 9, 1944

At last, on our fourth attempt, we sailed down the coast of Yarmouth. There we joined the 17th LCT Flotilla, which, with the 6th Flotilla, formed H Squadron of Group 'L.2.' It now became evident that we were soon to take part in the Second Front - the invasion of France. The next two weeks comprised feverish beaching and invasion training.


May 22, 1944

We sailed with the rest of the Squadron to Harwich, and the preparations grew more and more intense as we realised that hte great invasion was drawing near.


June 2, 1944

Sailed from the river Orwell to a 'hard' (concrete slipway) at Felixstore, and here we knew this was it. We embarked a load of ten tanks - seven Stuarts, two Shermans and a Cromwell. The Second Front at last! The C.O. and I spent a hectic weekend coping with an avalanche of secret operational orders and charts, and settling on board the crews of the tanks, men of Montgomery's famous 'Desert Rats'.


June 4, 1944

This morning we were due to sail and open our last secret sealed orders, but half an hour before we were due to ship from our bouy the sailing was cancelled without an explanation.


June 5, 1944

At last, early this morning, we are set to sail to France, and as we opened our orders we learned exactly then, where and how the greatest invasion in history was to take place. All day we sailed down the East Coast and Into the Channel, past the Thames, North Foreland, Dover, Folkstone Channel, a huge armada of landing craft and ships of all types. Near midnight we arrived off the coast of Normandy, and the first assault of 'D' Day itself was well under way. All night we lay just off the coast, watching the flashing and rumble of heavy guns, the tracer curling into the night sky as enemy aircraft bombed the fleet, the burning ships around us...

June 7, 1944

With daylight we saw the bay of Seine packed with ships as densely as traffic in Piccadilly Circus. Cruisers, destroyers, troopships, LST's, LCT's, MGB's every type of ship in the Navy was there - at least 4,000 of them. On the bridge we had a nightmare task of steering 7074 through this mass of shipping, colliding only with one, which ripped away our port guardrails. At 0930 we went into the beach on 'Jig Green' in Gold Sector, opposite the village of Asnelles-sur-Mer, north-east of Bayeux which was the objective of our Desert Rats. Down went the ramp and out drove our tanks into six feet of water. Only one came to grief stalling on the sea bed with waves breaking over it until a 'Duck' (amphibious vehicle) arrived to rescue the half-drowned crew. No sooner had the tanks got clear than the heavy seas and strong tide swept us and two other craft together, and we proceeded to chew each other to pieces. At last we disentangled ourselves and drove hard on to the beach, where we dried out. The craft alongside was a wreck, having received three direct hits as she went in. In a pool left by the receding tide, beside an underwater steel obstruction loaded with live mines, there floated the body of a soldier - mute witness of the battle which had raged to secure the beachhead. We examined our damage, and we found we could not raise the ramp because the port wire was broken and the starboard winch smashed. The door wire we replaced and eventually got the ramp up on one wire. All day we were stuck on the beach, and some of the crew went ashore to Asnelles-sur-Mer and were toasted with champagne in the village restaurant. We took on board 200 German prisoners and were told to take them back to England. But when we pointed out that we had no guards they were transferred to an LST.


June 8, 1944

Having kedged off the beach and anchored overnight, we joined a convoy and threaded our way back through the minefields towards England. In the middle of the night we lost the convey in a mix-up with inward bound ships and the starboard engine broke down.


June 9, 1944

Limbed into Southampton, and slept for the first time in four days.


June 12, 1944

Back to France, to land American paratroops on the Cherbourg peninsula. The port engine gave up on the way, and the beach on which we landed, 'Sugar Red' in Utah Sector, was under enemy shellfire all day and constant bombing by night - and land mines were constantly exploding in the sand.


June 14, 1944

Back to Southampton. More engine trouble. Loaded more Americans for Cherbourg.


June 22, 1944

Sailed after repairs and delays due to bad weather, then had a fire in the engine room. Three seamen and leading stoker badly burned and taken to hospital. Sailed again, and the port engine failed once more.


July 1944 to February 1945

Constant trips across the Channel from Southampton or Dover to all parts of Northern France with France with reinforcements and supplies.


February 28, 1945

Sailed with LCT 7058 for Tilbury having been detailed for a 'special, important task'. Troops were held up at the Rhine for lack of big enough mobile cranes for bridge building. We were told to get them there at all costs.


March 1, 1945

Loaded two huge mobile cranes, and sailed next day in a merchant ship convoy for Antwerp. Rough seas, but it kept E-boats away. Three ships in the convoy ahead of us sunk, but we got through safely and delivered cranes to Antwerp.


March 21, 1945

After three weeks in Holland, stranded with more engine trouble, sailed back to England. Resumed trips to France.


April 7, 1945

After a year's hard work, we were told LCT 7074 was to be converted to a LCT (E) (engineering repair ship).


April 8, 1945

Sailed from Dover for the last time, in convoy for Portsmouth


April 11, 1945

Berthed 7074 inside the dock ship 'Eastway' together with LCT 7069 which was also converted, and sailed the next day for Liverpool.


April 14, 1945

Arrived at Liverpool, flouted out of the 'Eastway' and berthed at Collingwood Dock.


April 15 to April 19, 1945

We paid off the ship, the crew dispersed for leave and other appointments, and LCT 7074 ended her life as an active landing craft.